Wednesday, August 9, 2017

What is your word worth?

I bought a new car this summer, which is unusual for me - the car I replaced was 11 years old and had over 200,000 miles on it. This presented a challenge.

The old car was a rare combination of model and features, and was in great condition. Online research showed I should be able to sell it for about $2,000 - $3,000 more than what the dealership offered in trade, so I decided to sell the car myself. I also decided to negotiate with several dealerships in an effort to pay less than what the internet said I should pay for my new car.

image credit - flickr clement127

I was honest with everyone I talked to throughout the process - potential buyers for my car, and every person at every dealership who might be my seller. Unfortunately that courtesy was not returned.

On the up-side, I came out about $4,000 ahead compared to if I had traded my car in and paid the internet's "fair" price, which felt good - it made the 2-week process seem worthwhile.

On the downside, I am still trying to wrap my mind around how many people gave me their word about xyz and then failed to deliver. And surprisingly enough, this was more from the buyers than the dealerships! (although not exclusively.)

It got me thinking about my own business - what is your word worth?

Honesty, integrity, loyalty, service - are these what you stand for, or are they just buzzwords you use?



I was honest about my car, and I'm honest about producing good newsletters - I can write and send your newsletters for you, completely turn-key, so you don't even have to lift a finger. Take a look around 8DollarFarming.com and let me know how I can help!

- Chris Butterworth

.